Last week, I bought loadful of delicious peaches, ripe and juicy. So I decided to bake a fruity cake. I had read Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten's fresh peach cake recipe somewhere, and thought I'd give it a try. Here it goes.
Hetal from Houston
P.S The finished cake came out very moist, and not too sweet. Just right!
|Peeled and sliced Peaches|
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large, ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans. I dry roasted them for a few minutes on a skillet.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking pan. Ina called for a square pan, but I used a round spring form pan, instead.
- Beat the butter and 1 cup of the sugar for 3 to 5 minutes on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy (using either a hand blender or a electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment). With the blender on low, add the eggs, one at a time, then the sour cream and vanilla, and mix until the batter is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix just until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and the cinnamon.
|One half batter spread and topped with peach slices|
- Spread the remaining batter on top, arrange the remaining peaches on top, and sprinkle with the remaining sugar mixture and the roasted pecans.
|Second layer of peaches|
- Bake the cake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Hetal from Houston
Tip: It is very important that all ingredients are at room temperature. According to Ina Garten, it makes a lot of difference in the final baked product. So plan ahead, and set those butter, eggs and other refrigerated items out on the counter for a few minutes.
|Fresh Peach cake|