November 4, 2011

Lime curd

They say when life gives you lemons, make lemonade! I say when life gives you egg yolks (and limes), make lime curd!
I was baking an Apple cake for a friend's baby shower. The recipe called for egg whites for the icing. The thought of throwing away perfectly wonderful egg yolks was driving me crazy. I had some limes lying around, so decided to make lime curd out of it. You could use only lemons or even one lime and one lemon. Here it goes.
Ingredients
1-2 lime juiced
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
4 tbsp unsalted butter, cut in 1 tbsp pieces

1 tsp Lime zest (Optional)
Method
  • Set a heat proof bowl over a pot of boiling water (It works like a double boiler).

  • Pour lime juice into the bowl, add yolks and whisk continuously. 
  • Add sugar gradually, one tablespoon at a time, if you like it tart. Check for sweetness.
  • Add butter 1 tbsp at a time. Whisk until well incorporated. Add lime zest at this time.
  • Lemon curd should be thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. 
  • Cool completely and pour into a clean container and refrigerate. 
  • This Lime curd should ideally be consumed within 2-3 days, and may be used in desserts such as lime tarts, cheese cakes. It works great as a spread for scones or bread.

My first memory of a lime/lemon tart is one from Kookie Jar, in Kolkata! While all my friends drooled over the chocolate cakes and desserts, I was crazy about the lime/lemon tart. If I may say so, this lime curd is pretty close! :) 


Bon Apetit!
Hetal from Houston

No comments:

Post a Comment