I like a little something sweet on my dining table almost all the time... It does not need to be fancy. A coffee cake made with readily available ingredients comes handy when I have such sweet craving. This goes equally well with morning coffee or evening tea or even with your late night ice-cream :)
Serves: 10 people
Prep Time: 10 mins
Baking Time: 40 - 45 minutes
- Oil/ Melted butter
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar ; I use 1 cup when I do not add maple syrup on top
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp instant coffee ; I use Nescafe ( original recipe calls for 1 tsp coffee extract )
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- Walnut halves to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Grease a 6 1/4-cup tube or a 9 inch square pan, preferably nonstick.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl and add the butter, sugar, eggs and coffee powder / extract. Beat well until the mixture is smooth, then stir in chopped walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture in the prepared pan and smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until risen, firm and golden brown.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out carefully onto a wire rack. While the cake is still warm, spoon over half the maple syrup . To serve, top with walnut halves and drizzle with the remaining maple syrup.
|When served with Vanilla Ice-cream ... Bliss !|
Enjoy your cake !
Ajanta from Amherst