March 25, 2014

Tri-colored Potato subzi

Most people I know love the tuber more than any other vegetable, including my own sister. Not me- I detest potatoes! While I was in school, I stopped eating potatoes all together for months, and I was very happy in my potato free world until Mom coerced me to eat them because she was running out of lunch pack ideas without potatoes :) While I do still eat them, I rarely make any potato dishes at home.

The ONLY potato preparation I liked was a potato bhaji that my maternal grandma made with thinly sliced potatoes, with the skin intact. I called it 'chhilka walu shaak' ie potato subzi with skin intact. Here's my twist on that recipe using much more interesting tri-colored fingerling potatoes - Purple, Red and Yellow.

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
8-9 medium sized potatoes (I used 3 purple, 3 red and 3 yellow); washed thoroughly
2 tbsp Canola or any white oil
1 dried red chilli
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 bay leaf
1/2 inch fresh ginger, minced
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
Salt (to taste)
11/2 tbsp Coriander powder
1/2 tbsp   Cumin powder
1 tbsp red Chilli powder

Method:
  • Slice the potatoes very thin, about 1/8th of an inch. You might want to soak the sliced potatoes in a bowl of water to prevent browning, its purely optional, though.
  • In a medium fry pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds and let them pop. Once the popping subsides, add dried red chilli, bay leaf and ginger and fry for a minute or so.
  • Add the sliced potatoes. If soaked in water, squeeze gently to remove excess water before adding to oil.
  • Toss gently till the tempering coats most potato slices, and then add turmeric and salt. Cover and cook for about 5-7 minutes. Once the potatoes are slightly translucent, add the remaining spices - coriander, cumin and chilli powder. Toss gently to avoid breaking the thin slices.
  • Cook uncovered in medium-low heat till the potatoes are done, and some are crispy golden brown.
  • Serve hot with paratha or roti.
Bon Appetit!
Hetal from Houston





No comments:

Post a Comment