This is one popular vegetarian dish in Bengal especially in winter. I cook it quite often here; thanks to all year long cauliflower supply in this part of the world! Recipe courtesy goes to my mother-in-law who has not yet tasted the one I cook so it might not be as authentic as her's :) but a few friends of mine really like this dish, I thought it might be worth sharing!
- One cauliflower cut into medium sized florets
- 2-3 potatoes cut into medium sized cubes ( Skip if you are not a big fan of potatoes)
- 2 tomatoes cut into medium sized pieces
- Ginger paste 1-2 tbsp
- Whole garam masala 1 tbsp
- Cumin , coriander. turmeric, red chilli powder 1 tbsp each
- Canola oil
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Shallow fry cauliflower and potatoes separately till they turn golden brown.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and add whole garam masala. Fry till the oil is flavored for ~ 3 mins.
|Fried poatoes and cauliflower ; Flavoring oil with whole garam masala|
- Mix cumin, coriander, turmeric, chilli powder in little water to make a paste. Add this to oil and fry for around 2-3 mins.
|Make a paste of cumin, coriander, turmeric and chilli powder|
- Add ginger paste an fry for -2 mins.
- Add fried cauliflower and potatoes and saute for 5 mins.
|Stir potatoes and cauliflower with spices|
- Add tomatoes and mix well.
- Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and cook with lid closed for 15-20 mins . Add more water and stir in between if you think it is becoming too dry
Happy cooking and eating !!
Ajanta from Amherst