October 12, 2011

Doodh Poha on Sharad Poonam

Its Sharad Poonam tonight. It brought back memories of the Sharad Poonam celebrations at my Baa's (grandma's) place in Asansol. They lived in a huge house with a lovely courtyard right in the middle. I was very little, but I clearly remember my Baa making the traditional Gujarati Doodh Pauva (Poha), and letting it "cook" (and cool) in the full moon light. After devouring the doodh pauva, we would enjoy Garba- Raas way past our bedtime :)

All that nostalgia made me crave for some doodh pauva just the way Baa made it, so I called mom and got the recipe. Here it goes.


Serves: 4-6 persons
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes plus cooling time
Ingredients:
3 cups milk - I used 2% milk
1 cup poha/ rice flakes
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp powdered elaichi/ cardamom


Method:
Simmering milk with sugar and cardamom powder

  • Boil milk in a non-stick pan for few minutes on medium heat. Add sugar once the milk is frothy and tiny bubbles form on the edge of the pan. Also add the cardamom powder.


Poha/ rice flakes -rinsed

  • While milk is boiling, rinse the poha/ rice flakes thoroughly (2-3 times, or till water runs clear).






  • Add rinsed poha to the boiling milk, and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let it cool. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours, and serve cool.
Doodh Pauva


Happy Sharad Poonam!









P.S. You could also add vanilla or nuts or even saffron. I skipped these, since I wanted to make it just the way my Grandma did.
Bon Apetit!
Hetal from Houston


3 comments:

  1. Great recipe, Hetal. I tried this for Diwali night & it turned out ultra delicious even though my poha had gotten over soaked! Hubby & friends loved it. :) Thanks to you & Ajanta for starting this online venture! Keep it going..

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Mini - Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete