Last weekend we mostly ate out so Sunday night had to be a healthy dine-in session. Tofu it is.. I thought…. but again food could not be too bland with Monday blues in mind ! So decided to experiment a little by cooking it the Indian way with some frozen spinach I had at home. It tasted so good that it deserved to be our blog’s next dish !!
|Cut pieces of tofu|
1. Tofu (14 oz cut into medium sized pieces)
2. Chopped Frozen Spinach ( 10oz / small packet);
fresh spinach would be healthier and tastier is my guess
3. Onion (1 medium sized, finely chopped)
4. Garlic (3-4 cloves finely chopped)
5. Tomato (1 medium sized, chopped well)
6. Fresh Cilantro (chopped, 3-4 tbsp)
7. Green chillies (2 , chopped well)
8. Vegetable oil (1 tsp)
9. Cumin seeds(1 tsp)
10. Turmeric (1tsp)
11. Red chilli powder (1/2 -1 tsp); totally avoidable.I like food hot !!
12. Lime juice (1 tsp)
1. Heat vegetable oil in a non stick pan and add cumin seeds. After oil is flavored , add green chillies and garlic and sauté for 2-3 mins .
2. Add chopped onions and fry for 5 mins
3. Add tomatoes next and after 5-7 mins add turmeric and redchilli powder.
4. Let it simmer for a few mins and add spinach and cilantro to the pan.
5. Cook in medium flame for ~ 10 mins and add tofu.
6. Simmer for 5 mins in low flame after mixing tofu well with the gravy.
Serve hot with rice, couscous or even bread !!! The dish was healthy enough with its share of greens and protein chunks with perfect zest of spices in it. Tofu of course can be well substituted with anything healthy or not so healthy depending on your preference !! :)
Ajanta from Amherst